Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Michelle Obama

Something occurred to me today. I've noticed how many Clinton supporters speak derisively about Michelle Obama very much the same way Republicans spoke about Hillary Clinton in 1992, occasionally using very racist and misogynistic language about her.

Personally, I think she'd make a fine First Lady. She seems to have all the qualities people once admired about Hillary Clinton, before Hillary became a force unto herself. And frankly, I think that a lot of people dislike Michelle Obama for many of the same reasons they disliked Hillary: she's a strong woman with accomplishments and a mind of her own and who (this is key) disagrees with them on something. Just why Hillary supporters are using the misogynistic language (I've heard the words "bitch" and "cunt" thrown around in the comments section at the Huffington Post) with regards to Michelle, I can't begin to fathom, but it reinforces a feeling that I've had for a while: many people in the Democratic party have become the same sorts of demagogues that they once despised. Now, I'm quite sure that the people in the Hillary camp using this kind of language are a very small minority, but I hope that people can look inside themselves and ask whether or not they've become the thing they hate.


Here's an interview with Michelle Obama. I'll let you draw your own conclusions:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize people were "Hillary-izing" Michelle too...with Hillary I chalked it up to her antagonistic "my way or the highway" leadership style, and I thought the accusations of sexism were just a copout. Michelle is very down to earth, pragmatic, and far more likable than Hillary. Frankly, this sheds a whole new light on the scepter of our societies ingrained sexism. Obama '08,'12,'16,'20!